Sunday, August 1, 2010

The value of a great bartender

One of the best things about being a part of a neighborhood is that you get to know your local bartenders almost as well as you know your friends. I spend a lot of time in one such neighborhood, and it proved incrediby useful this weekend.

I found myself just three blocks from my favorite neighborhood watering hole, but unable to leave my location. After a flurry of texts and chats with a friend at the bar, I was told to come to the door. To my surprise, my friend had a gift from the greatest bartender ever. Packed neatly into a paper coffee cup was my favorite cocktail! He'd decided if I couldn't get to him, he would come to me.

As I sipped my "coffee," I began to think about what it means to be a part of something. For many of us, that group of friends from the local bar becomes our pseudo family. When my real family was out of town this year, our bar famiy had Thanksgiving dinner together, and when someone celebrates a birthday or a promotion, they are the first to know.

Do you have a bar that has become the place where "everybody knows your name?"

No comments:

Post a Comment